for the Community
Drives that collect items for homeless youth are a great way to build community spirit in your office or on your school campus. All you need is a barrel or box and a little publicity. We will supply My Friend’s Place literature for you to hand out. Collected items must be delivered to My Friend’s Place. All donations are tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.
- Shoe Drive
- Blanket/Sleeping Bag Drive
- Backpack Drive
- Clothing and Hygiene Supply Drive: Every day our youth need clean, casual clothing to help build their self-esteem and their ability to achieve their goals. We have the greatest need for sizes XL and up and men’s casual clothing.
- Snack Drive: Non-perishable food items are most needed for our young people to take with them when they leave My Friend’s Place for the day.
- Gift Drive: For a variety of holidays, we give every homeless young person a new gift. We are happy to provide an extensive wish list that includes items such as gift certificates for food, clothing or movie tickets and more.
- Educational and Recreational Supply Drive: We offer a variety of educational and recreational activities for the young people. We are always in need of art and school supplies.
For our most current In-Kind Wish List, click here.
Groups require a team leader who will meet with our volunteer coordinator prior to the event. All group members will be oriented the day of the event. Limits on the size of a group will be determined by the volunteer activity—age restrictions may apply. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- Serve a meal: Provide and serve a special meal (breakfast or lunch) to the youth. You can bring the food or provide a donation for us to purchase the meal for you to serve.
- Beautify our Safe Haven: Help out by organizing donations, cleaning, painting or general maintenance.
- Gardening: We have flower beds and planters that need a green thumb. Groups donate flowers, plants, and planting soil and a little tendering loving care.
The last Wednesday of each month you are invited to join us at My Friend’s Place from 6 p.m.-8 p.m. for some volunteering fun! We’ll be sorting clothing donations, stocking the pantry, assembling toiletry kits and tackling other projects to help meet the needs of our youth.
To sign up for Community Service Evenings:
- Click this link to go to SignUp.com: http://signup.com/go/bfmZWEA
- Review the options listed and choose the spot(s) you like.
- Sign up! It’s Easy – you will NOT need to register an account or keep a password on SignUp.com. Note: SignUp.com does not share your email address with anyone. If you prefer not to use your email address, please contact email@example.com and I can sign you up manually.
Emerging Leaders Council
The Emerging Leaders Council (ELC) of My Friend’s Place is a passionate group of more than 120 young professionals and community members dedicated to advancing the mission of My Friend’s Place to assist and inspire homeless youth to build self-sufficient lives. The ELC supports My Friend’s Place through unique volunteer opportunities, fundraising and exciting social events, while playing a vital role in furthering the conversation about ending youth homelessness.
To learn more about the ELC click here.